OpenEEW sensors require specific installation conditions to ensure acceptable data quality:
- Located on ground or basement floor.
- Fixed mechanically to a rigid structural element such as column, beam or near a wall corner edge.
- Connection to internet, depending on sensor module:
- WiFi. Requires proximity to router and with good Signal to Noise ratio for optimum transmission of packets.
- Ethernet. Requires proximity to router.
- A cellular connection has been tested, but requires pre-processing on the device to limit telemetry costs.
- The device has a 5W wall adapter that needs to be connected to a mains socket outlet, or battery pack. Sleep mode on the MCU has not yet proven useful as transmission needs to be ready with no delay when shaking starts.
- (optionally) a GPS antenna needs to be fixed with adhesive to a nearby window to get clear view of satellites.
OpenEEW sensor installed low to ground on block wall near corner junction